- Sun’s Jonathan Schwartz Tries to Reassure His Troops in Email – Digits – WSJ – Though profit-minded Oracle is widely expected to cut Sun’s headcount sharply after the transaction, Schwartz insists in the message that Oracle realizes that Sun’s people are its greatest asset and will not harm it.
- Picking Letters, 10 a Day, That Reach Obama – NYTimes.com – He chooses 10 letters, which are slipped into a purple folder and put in the daily briefing book that is delivered to President Obama at the White House residence. Designed to offer a sampling of what Americans are thinking, the letters are read by the president, and he sometimes answers them by hand, in black ink on azure paper.
- Adobe in Push to Spread Flash Video Format to TVs – NYTimes.com – Now Adobe Systems, which owns the technology and sells the tools to create and distribute it, will announce that Adobe is extending Flash to the television screen. He expects TVs and set-top boxes that support the Flash format to start selling later this year.
- Williams and Stone: The Twitter Revolution – WSJ.com – But Twitter is much more than a novel way to share updates of one's daily life with friends. It's now evolved into a powerful new marketing and communications tool. Regional emergency preparedness organizations are looking at Twitter as a way to reach millions of people during a disaster. NASA is using it to regularly update interested parties about the status of space shuttle flights. And one journalist solicited help from fellow Twitterers to get himself out of an Egyptian jail.
- Apache Pivot – Home – The Pivot development team is happy to announce the release of Apache Pivot version 1.1! Pivot is an open-source platform for building rich internet applications in Java. It combines the enhanced productivity and usability features of a modern RIA toolkit with the robustness of the industry-standard Java platform.
- Atlassian Stimulus Package Announced – For the next 5 days, get Confluence or JIRA for $5 for 5 users. All goes to Room To Read – The Goal: To raise $25k to build 5 libraries for children in the developing world in 5 days… all whilst helping stimulate startups and small teams with kick-ass tools.
- JSpring presentation: REST, the internet as a database? :: Andrej Koelewijn – I just uploaded the slides of our JSpring presentation to slideshare: “REST, het internet als database“.
- Oracle Buys Sun – Oracle Corporation and Sun Microsystems announced today they have entered into a definitive agreement under which Oracle will acquire Sun common stock for $9.50 per share in cash
- The Algebra of Data, and the Calculus of Mutation » Lab49 Blog – With the spreading popularity of languages like F# and Haskell, many people are encountering the concept of an algebraic data type for the first time. When that term is produced without explanation, it almost invariably becomes a source of confusion. In what sense are data types algebraic
- SOASTA, Inc. – The Cloud Testing Authority – SOASTA has harnessed the immense power of Cloud Computing to become the leading provider of cloud testing, which businesses use to test the real-world performance of their web applications
Daily del.icio.us for April 19th through April 21st
by Vinny Carpenter on April 21, 2009
Previous post: Daily del.icio.us for April 16th through April 19th