- The White House – Press Office – President Obama Names Vivek Kundra Chief Information Officer – Today, President Barack Obama named Vivek Kundra the Federal Chief Information Officer (CIO) at the White House.
- Java concurrency with thread gates – JavaWorld – The thread gate pattern is an effective tool for controlling thread concurrency, but many developers are unfamiliar with it. Just as a traffic light can regulate the behavior of automobiles at an intersection, thread gates can block or allow thread progress based on given factors
- SitePoint » 10 Fixes That Solve IE6 Problems – We know IE is likely to be around for some time, but can we still support the browser and avoid hacks and conditional CSS? Here are 10 fixes to solve the majority of IE6 problems with valid HTML and CSS code…
- Jonathan Schwartz’s Blog: Understanding Sun in Three Easy Steps (1 of 4) – I thought I#039;d take the opportunity to deliver this overview and the upcoming focused discussions on what makes Sun tick in a video format.
- Amazon Extends Book Sales Beyond Its Kindle to iPhone – WSJ.com – Amazon.com Inc. plans to release a program Wednesday for reading electronic books on Apple Inc.#039;s iPhone, extending Amazon#039;s sales of digital books to devices beyond its Kindle e-book reader.
- Mark to market | Marketplace Whiteboard | Marketplace from American Public Media – There#039;s a debate in financial circles over whether banks are unfairly penalized by the requirement that they quot;mark to marketquot; their holdings. Marketplace Senior Editor Paddy Hirsch explains what that term means.
- Apache FtpServer – Index – The Apache FtpServer is a 100% pure Java FTP server. It#039;s designed to be a complete and portable FTP server engine solution based on currently available open protocols. FtpServer can be run standalone as a Windows service or Unix/Linux daemon, or embedded into a Java application. We also provide support for integration within Spring applications and provide our releases as OSGi bundles.
- Books and Music That Make You Dumb – Digits – WSJ.com – With his two Web sites (which have crashed from too much traffic), Booksthatmakeyoudumb.com and Musicthatmakesyoudumb.com, Griffith used aggregated Facebook data about the favorite bands and books among students of various colleges and plotted them against the average SAT scores at those schools, creating a tongue-in-cheek statistical look at taste and intelligence
- A Brew That Prevents Parkinson’s? – RealAge Tip of the Day – A large study in Singapore showed that black tea might have the power to slash Parkinson’s disease risk by almost a third.
- How FriendFeed uses MySQL to store schema-less data – Bret Taylor’s blog – After some deliberation, we decided to implement a quot;schema-lessquot; storage system on top of MySQL rather than use a completely new storage system. This post attempts to describe the high-level details of the system
- Sun’s McNealy: Some federal officials see open source as ‘anti-capitalist’ – Sun Microsystems Inc. Chairman Scott McNealy wants President Barack Obama#039;s administration do what the U.K., Denmark and other countries have done: encourage, as a matter of policy, open-source software adoption
- Facebook’s "In-House Sociologist" Shares Stats on Users’ Social Behavior – While many people have hundreds friends on Facebook, they still only communicate with a small few. Or to quote the author of the article, quot;Humans may be advertising themselves more efficiently. But they still have the same small circles of intimacy as ever.quot;
Daily del.icio.us for February 27th through March 5th
by Vinny Carpenter on March 5, 2009
Previous post: Daily del.icio.us for February 23rd through February 25th